Constituency Assistant (Outreach/Casework) for MPP Jamie West (Sudbury) — Full-Time Temporary (Maternity Leave, March 2019 to May 1 2020)
- To assist the Member by completing assigned casework and outreach duties.
Responsible to the Member for:
- Preparing, gathering, maintaining and compiling research material as requested by Member to aid in communicating with constituents and organizations in the constituency.
- Responding to requests for research or information from the MPP’s constituents.
- Monitor local media to ensure a strong media presence for the Member. May include preparing weekly columns, drafting op-eds, standard media releases and arranging interviews. As well, work with the MPP and caucus communications department to develop a strong social media presence and manage online social media to increase MPP’s visual identity; and assist with outreach and engagement to help promote awareness of the MPP in the riding.
- Keeping informed in all policy areas assigned by Member and liaising with interest groups within the constituency.
- Dealing with enquiries and advocating for constituents (case work) using a creative approach to problem solve. Contacting and responding to constituents by telephone, writing, and in person. Contacting senior government personnel, officials from outside organizations, and local government.
- Preparing, maintaining and managing all documentation related to casework.
- Travel throughout the Riding to perform outreach, event planning and other duties as assigned by the Member. Willing to work some evenings and weekends.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Member.
- Knowledge of the NDP and the Canadian labour movement, Canadian government, Ontario government and public affairs.
- French language oral and written proficiency essential.
- Ability to write articles and reports, to meet deadlines, produce accurate work and maintain organized records including Member’s schedule. Strong time management skills are esential.
- Ability to understand and prepare cases and to advocate effectively on behalf of the Member’s constituents.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency in social media (Facebook, Twitter, etc.) is required.
- Familiarity with Member’s constituency and key local stakeholder groups is essential.
- Experience in NDP organizations and election campaigns would be an asset.
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks an asset.
Send application to
Human Resources Coordinator, NDP Caucus Services
Room 113, Queen’s Park
Toronto, ON M7A 1A5
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.