Leader's Assistant (Non-Bargaining Unit, Full-Time Permanent)
The Leader’s Assistant is responsible for providing hands-on assistance to the Leader to carry out her political, tour, and legislative responsibilities. This position is a non-bargaining unit position.
Responsible to the Principal Secretary and Director of the Leader’s Secretariat
- In consultation with the Director of Leader’s Secretariat, assist the Leader in fulfillment of her daily scheduled activities, events and news conferences.
- Drive and staff the Leader at events and on tour, including briefing the Leader, as required, on events and tour logistics.
- Implement plans and programs to assist the Leader in following and keeping on time for her daily scheduled commitments.
- Proactively review the Leader’s calendar and commitments and flag issues or events as required to the Director of the Leader’s Secretariat and Principal Secretary.
- Provide debriefs to the Principal Secretary and Director of the Leader’s Secretariat and keep recorded notes of each event and contacts from outreach events.
- Liaise with stakeholders from tour events and connect new contacts to appropriate people inside Queen’s Park (stakeholder relations, outreach, researchers, MPPs, and senior staff).
- Assist the Leader with preparation of Question Period
- In consultation with the Leader’s constituency office staff and the Director of the Leader’s Secretariat, flag issues or events of importance with the Leader.
- Assist with the management of the Leader’s public email inbox and written correspondence as required.
- Take pictures and support needs for Leader’s Social media outreach
- Other duties as assigned by the Leader, Principal Secretary and or Director of Leader’ Secretariat.
- Knowledge appropriate to the position of the NDP and/or Canadian labour movement, and of the Ontario Government and public affairs
- At least 2 years of recent experience in event organizing, on-site management, or public relations
- Excellent political judgment
- Drivers’ license and excellent driving record a must
- Confidentiality is a key component of this position.
- Successful candidate must have enthusiasm and availability for frequent long distance travel across the province
- High degree of flexibility and ability to work long hours
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; ability to work with the public; ability to work with minimal supervision; ability to work under pressure.
- Proficiency in major social media platforms preferred
- Must have excellent writing skills. Ability to write reports, to meet deadlines, produce accurate work and maintain organized records
- Good computer and office organization skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a high energy, fast-paced team environment
- Ability to multi-task / change task on short notice
- Experience working in the labour movement, ethno-cultural and racialized communities, or an NDP organization would be an asset.
- Second language skills would be an asset
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks
Send application to
Human Resources Co-ordinator, Ontario NDP Caucus
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.