November 5th, 2019
November 5th, 2019
Objective: To assist the Leader’s Secretariat and Caucus with the tracking, drafting, and researching of Leader’s correspondence and speaking materials.
Responsible to the Director of the Leader’s Secretariat for:
• On behalf of the Leader’s Secretariat and Caucus preparation of high-quality, accurate, proof-read correspondence to constituents and members of the public, stakeholder groups, community groups, and government officials.
• Working closely with other departments - Communications, Stakeholder Relations, Legislative Affairs and Issues Management – to ensure drafted correspondence is appropriate and in line with NDP policy and the message box of the day.
• Having key correspondence reviewed and approved by relevant departments, on behalf of the Leader’s Secretariat.
• Assisting with responses to event invitations for the Leader, as required.
• Manage and respond to day-to-day inquiries from the public, staff, and MPPs directly. Where necessary, triage correspondence with Caucus Service staff to ensure that inquiries are directed to appropriate staff and responded to in a timely fashion.
• Electronically track inquiries from the public to the Leader’s Office and advise the Director as to current trends and controversial issues.
• Assist with the organization and triaging of the Leader’s Queen’s Park inboxes. • Assist with the organization of a centralized correspondence database that can be used by Caucus staff and Members’ offices.
3. Public Relations
• Contacting constituents and the general public as required by email, written correspondence, telephone, or in person.
4. Advisory/Research Duties
• Remain informed of NDP policy and the Caucus’ position on topics of current interest and concern
• Performing specialized research at the Director’s request
• Making inquiries and collecting information in connection with correspondence received by the Leader’s Office
• Liaising with Critic Offices and other Caucus staff to pro-actively determine appropriate follow-up correspondence.
5. Speaking Notes and Event Material Preparation
• Working with the communications team to draft and prepare speaking materials as required for the Leader’s Tour and B-Tours
• Knowledge appropriate to the position of the NDP and/or Canadian Labour movement, and of the Ontario Government and public affairs.
• Background in communications, copy-editing, journalism, marketing a strong asset
• Excellent communication skills and exceptional writing skills
• Ability to work with the public
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines
• Ability to conduct research
• Good political judgment and discretion is essential
• Proven experience working with confidential information is an asset
• Strong office organization skills and attention to detail are essential
• Excellent computer skills including electronic list management and record-keeping
• Experience in the Labour movement or NDP organization and election campaigns is an asset
• Second language skills is an asset
• Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer.
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
Forward a Cover Letter and Resume to the NDP Caucus Human Resources Office, firstname.lastname@example.org, Fax, 416-325-2266.
Please include “Correspondence Officer - Fulltime” in the subject line.
Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.