Toronto is one of the world’s greatest cities – but it’s getting harder and harder to get by.
Doug Ford has made life less affordable. He cancelled a minimum wage increase, got rid of rent control, cut student aid and broke his promise to lower Hydro and auto insurance rates. And his cuts have causes crises in health care and education.
Andrea Horwath has a plan to fix what matters most to you and your family.
- Making housing more affordable by bringing back rent control, building 1.5 million homes, and ending exclusionary zoning.
- Lowering auto insurance rates by 40% and ending postal code discrimination, saving drivers an average of $660 every year.
- Bringing mental health, pharmacare and dental care coverage into OHIP, so you pay with your OHIP card not your credit card.
- Making the TTC more frequent, reliable, convenient and fast by implementing a 10-minute-or-better service guarantee and a single low flat-rate fare, adding more busses, and getting wifi service on the subway.
- Working with the federal government to speed up the implementation of $10/day child care.
- Establishing a $20/hr minimum wage by 2026 with annual $1 increases.
- Increasing funding for Toronto’s Community Health Centres and building two additional ones in Scarborough.
- Reducing student debt by reversing Ford’s cuts to OSAP and cancelling student loan increases.
- Moving ahead with a revitalization of Ontario Place that acknowledges the waterfront’s Indigenous heritage.
- Working to end chronic homelessness and implementing a housing-first model.
- Making Metrolinx more transparent and accountable to the public.
By working together, we can put an end to out-of-control rent costs and give people hope that they can own their own home. We can address the climate crisis and bring Ontario to net-zero emissions, transition our economy to cleaner forms of energy and create hundreds of thousands of good-paying jobs in the process. We can make Toronto’s transit system world-class, more affordable and with the service Torontonians deserve. We can deliver affordable, accessible and quality public child care.
If we come together on June 2, we can defeat Doug Ford and elect a government that will fix what matters most to Toronto and to you and your family.