Web Developer - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
The Ontario NDP is seeking an experienced web developer with a passion for building great tools to play a central role in the Ontario NDP’s digital program as we prepare for the 2018 Ontario provincial election.
In this job you will be responsible for planning and implementing front-end design, API integration, and tool development and deployment. Working as part of our growing digital department, you’ll be tasked with building and maintaining web tools to get the Ontario NDP elected in 2018.
Your work will support voter engagement, volunteer recruitment, database work, and fundraising technology in multi-platform digital campaigns.
Please apply if you are passionate about progressive politics, programming, and using digital tools to win elections.
- Learn the tools used by the Ontario NDP digital team
- Build front-end web components using HTML, CSS, JS, PHP
- Improve front-end web components using metrics and A/B testing
- Add behind-the-scenes API integrations using PHP and open libraries
- Ensure behind-the-scenes code always works using tests and checks
- Prepare behind-the-scenes code for high traffic by planning in advance
- Manipulate data in XML, JSON and CSV formats using PHP
- Write clean, commented code that can be maintained by other devs
- Write simple, readable documentation for the code you maintain
- Collaborate with other NDP developers across Canada using Git
- Follow provided conventions for code, documentation and dev workflow
- Provide advice to your team with regards to what's possible
- Other duties as assigned
Technical Qualifications –
- Experience debugging PHP code
- Experience writing:
- Adobe Creative Suite tools
- Clean CSS
- Responsive CSS with mobile design considerations
- Minimalist HTML
- PHP functions
- Experience using:
- Git as part of a software project
- Coding and development conventions on a project
- Build API connections using Python
- PHP objects and object-oriented programming
- PHP libraries to connect to web API services
- PHP to work with JSON, XML, CSV data formats
- Drupal, SSH, Mac OS terminal, Linux
- Experience with the following is a bonus:
- Adobe Creative Suite tools
- Optimizely, Google Optimize, A/B testing
- Raiser’s Edge, CiviCRM, Blue State Digital, NationBuilder
- Use SQL to query databases, especially PostGres, to populate web applications
- Use GIS to present geographic data in web applications
- Strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Detail-oriented with good time management skills
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to multi-task / change task on short notice
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Willingness to work long and irregular hours in a fast-paced
- campaign environment
- Knowledge of Ontario NDP structure, history, policies and principles
- Experience with political campaigns or political organizing
Terms and Conditions
The position is covered by the COPE 343 Collective Agreement, and falls under the category of officer.
The Ontario NDP supports employment equity. Racialized workers, women, Aboriginal workers, LGBTQTS workers, young workers, Francophone workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Application deadline for applicants: 5:00 pm (EST) on Friday, March 24, 2017. Applications should include a cover letter clearly outlining relevant experience, along with a resume and relevant references, and should be sent by e-mail to the attention of Oliver Paré, Digital Director, at email@example.com. Please include the job title in the subject line.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.