Toronto, ON - Provincial Secretary and Executive Director
The Provincial Secretary and Executive Director is the Senior Management position of the New Democratic Party of Ontario responsible for the successful leadership and management of the Ontario NDP according to the Constitution, By-laws and strategic direction set by the Provincial Executive.
The New Democratic Party of Ontario is seeking an experienced professional Executive Director to lead our political party during this exciting time as the Official Opposition for the province of Ontario. The Provincial Secretary is responsible for overseeing and implementing the strategic plans for the Party centrally and for the 124 ridings across the province, and this position is also responsible for the day-to-day administrative and financial operations of the party.
Leadership and Governance
- Lead the Provincial Executive in a process to develop a vision and strategic plan to guide the Party through this new stage as the Official Opposition in Ontario and leading up to the next election in 4 years
- Engage the Party in a process to further embed an anti-racism, anti-oppression and inclusion framework in all aspects of its governance and organizational policies, processes, and practices
- Provide professional advice to the Provincial Executive, the Provincial Council and its Committees on all aspects of the organization’s activities
- Build on the “member first” service culture provided by staff a Provincial Office
- Foster an effective teamwork environment between the Provincial Executive and the Provincial Secretary, and between the Provincial Secretary and Party staff
- Enhance the growth of the Party by engaging the new Caucus in membership building activities, and activities with Provincial Council, Party Committees, and Riding Associations
- Facilitate a strong working relationship between the Party, the new Caucus and the Leader in the lead up to the next election
- In addition to the President, act as a spokesperson for the Party
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Provincial Executive as appropriate and jointly with the Provincial Executive when appropriate
Operational planning and management
- Building on the successes of 2018, develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives towards the strategic direction of forming Government in 2022
- Oversee the implementation and ongoing evaluation of programs and services to meet the objectives of the operational plan
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the Party to ensure a professional team and office environment
- Conduct a review of existing policies and procedures in the context of current operational directions and recommend changes as appropriate
- Continue the modernization of our data management operations and systems to ensure the integrity, accuracy and privacy of all human resource, member, donor and volunteer files
- Provide support to Provincial Council and Party Committees by coordinating meeting agendas and minutes and supporting materials
- Plan, coordinate and implement conferences and conventions as dictated by the Party’s constitution
- Work collaboratively with the Federal Party and other Provincial sections to achieve an effective coordination of election readiness activities across the country
Financial planning and management
- Oversee the long-term planning, financial health, and sustainability of the Party outside public financing
- Develop a sound fiscal plan including a rigorous debt – reduction plan and preparation for the end of public financing within the next two years
- Work with staff and the Provincial Executive (Finance Committee) to prepare a comprehensive annual budget
- Oversee the development and implementation of fundraising plans with a primary focus on consolidating successes achieved through Digital fundraising
- Actively participate in fundraising activities as appropriate
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administer the financing of the Party according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow
- Provide the Provincial Executive with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures of the organization
- Ensure that the organization complies with all legislation covering taxation and withholding payments
Human resources planning and management
- Continue the process of professionalization and modernization of the management of Party operations
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery
- Institute a recruitment, interview, and selection process for new staff that emphasizes an inclusive environment where the diversity of identities, experiences, perspectives, and skills of our employees will help further our objectives in 2022.
- Oversee the implementation of the human resource policies, procedures, and practices including the Workplace Anti-harassment policy
- Promote positive relations and attitudinal change within the Party by creating a climate where discriminatory or oppressive behaviours are not tolerated;
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Administer and enforce all provisions of the Collective Agreement(s) in this unionized environment. Prepare for and lead the next round of Collective Bargaining.
- Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided
- Monitor the performance of staff on an ongoing basis and conduct a regular performance review
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance
- Discipline staff when necessary using appropriate techniques
- Communicate with the membership to keep them informed of the work of the organization
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with constituency associations, general membership, Caucus and their staff
- Maintain and expand inclusive and positive relationships with Labour Organizations and other stakeholders
- On an ongoing basis, evaluate and recommend IT strategies which will ensure currency in all aspects of the organization's operations
- Overseeing large and complex changes in databases and IT systems
- Post-secondary preparation in a related field or a combination of education and experience
- 5 or more years of progressive management experience in a voluntary or not for profit sector organization and/or NDP or other relevant organizations
- Central Staff Role in at least two Provincial or Federal NDP Campaigns or equivalent
- Management experience in a unionized environment essential
- Bilingualism (English and French) an asset
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to non-profit/voluntary organizations and the New Democratic Party, its values, policies, and structure
- Knowledge of all federal and provincial legislation applicable to voluntary sector organizations including Election laws, employment standards, human rights, occupational health and safety, CRA regulations pertaining to donations, taxation, CPP, EI, and health coverage
- Working knowledge of progressive human resources management practices
- Training in Human Rights, Anti-racism and Anti-oppression an asset
- Significant knowledge of financial management including strong financial literacy and financing options
- Proven leadership experience and supervisory experience.
- Superior organizational and planning skills.
- Experience in organization and sound knowledge of organizing techniques and technology
- High level of knowledge regarding IT and it’s applications in a movement based organization
- Proven analytical and writing skill
- Knowledge of project management
- Ability to work under pressure in a creative team environment, managing tight timelines and competing priorities in a demanding and fast-paced environment with irregular hours.
- Enthusiasm for and availability to travel and work irregular hours including weekends is essential
Commensurate with experience.
The Ontario NDP supports employment equity. Racialized workers, women, Indigenous workers, LGBTQTS workers, young workers, Francophone workers, and workers with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Deadline: 5:00 pm (EST) on Wednesday, August 8, 2018.
Applications (including a resume and cover letter) should be sent by e-mail to the attention of Ontario NDP Provincial Secretary, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title Provincial Secretary in the subject line.
While we thank all of you that submit applications, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.