FACT CHECK: Doug Ford’s tales don’t match the reality
QUEEN’S PARK — NDP House Leader Gilles Bisson released the following statement after watching Doug Ford and Paul Calandra tell tales in their press conference:
“It was painful today watching Doug Ford and Paul Calandra tell tall tales in their press conference. Here are some of the things they lied about:
- Ford claims he needs unlimited power to make orders behind closed doors because it takes “three weeks” to recall the house. Only 24 hours is required to recall the legislature.
- Ford claimed there were bipartisan efforts. The government ended multi-party House meetings months ago and passed sweeping legislation this week without any opportunity for public comment – a move that was opposed by every Opposition MPP.
- Calandra claimed that the Auditor General was incorrect when she claimed that the government violated the Environmental Bill of Rights when they passed Bill 197 without consultation. The Auditor was clear: they did.
- Calandra claimed members on both sides of the house made it clear we had to get back to our ridings. He’s making stuff up. We prefer to continue our legislative work in order to fight for laws that could give people some direct support. We were not consulted about the end of the session.
- Ford claimed that he “gets along great” with former PC MPP Belinda Karahalios but he just unilaterally kicked her out of the PC Caucus – breaking his own commitment to let MPPs vote their conscience on non-Budget matters.
Doug Ford is entitled to his own opinions but not his own facts.”