Scarborough - Constituency Assistant - Part-Time, Permanent (18 hours per week)
MPP Doly Begum (Scarborough – Southwest) Constituency Office
To assist the Scarborough – Southwest MPP by completing assigned casework and outreach duties.
TASK, DUTIES, AND EXPECTATIONS:
- Preparing, gathering, maintaining and compiling research material as requested by Member to aid in communicating with constituents and organizations in the constituency.
- Responding to requests for research or information from the MPP’s constituents.
- Monitor local media to ensure a strong media presence for the Member. May include preparing weekly columns, drafting op-eds, standard media releases and arranging standup interviews. As well, will work with the MPP and caucus communications department to develop a strong social media presence and manage online social media to increase MPP’s visual identity; and assist with outreach and engagement to help promote awareness of the MPP in the riding.
- Keeping informed in all policy areas assigned by Member and liaising with interest groups within the constituency.
- Dealing with enquiries and solving problems and advocating for constituents (case work). Contacting and responding to constituents by telephone, writing, and in person. Contacting senior government personnel, officials from outside organizations, and local government.
- Preparing all documentation related to casework.
- Travel throughout the Riding to perform outreach, casework and event planning and other duties as assigned by the Member.
- Working collaboratively with residents and community groups on events and issue-based campaigns.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Member
- Knowledge of the NDP and the Canadian labour movement, Canadian government, Ontario government and public affairs.
- Working knowledge of local service agencies and government programs.
- Ability to write articles and reports, to meet deadlines, produce accurate work and maintain organized records.
- Ability to understand and prepare cases and to advocate effectively on behalf of the Member’s constituents.
- Ability to speak, read and write in English and/or French is essential
- Ability to fluently speak and read Bengali is essential
- Excellent computer skills required including Twitter, Facebook, Mailchimp.
- Familiarity with Member’s constituency and key local stakeholder groups is essential.
- Experience in NDP organizations and election campaigns would be an asset.
- Familiarity with equity, anti-racism and anti-oppression policy frameworks.
- Proficiency in social media an asset
- Experience organizing events.
The NDP Caucus is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request. Forward a Cover Letter and Resume to the NDP Caucus Human Resources Office, email@example.com, Fax, 416-325-2266. Please include “Constituency Assistant, Part-Time (Scarborough Southwest)” in the subject line. Thank you for your application. Please note, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.